2.21.2018

Saying Yes

'Momma, I need a mailbox.'  A normal Tuesday morning began with the construction and decoration of a mailbox for Luke (and Lily), deep discussion on where to place the mailboxes, and finally a carefully curated plan on how Momma is going to get the letters into the mailbox without any little eyes seeing.  (I did not lead any of these conversations.)  The day went on with Luke carrying around his mailbox, asking for me to write him letters, then having me read him the letters over and over and over again.  And you know what, on Tuesday I didn't mind.  On Tuesday, my little brain got over my to-do list and said 'yes' to the mailbox and the letters and all of it.


Now, you're probably thinking, that's not such a big deal, saying 'yes' to something so small.  And when I really think about it, it's not.  BUT, there are times, many times I'm embarrassed to say, I have said 'no' for no good reason.  I have squelched ideas, buried creative schemes, and said uh-uh to some  imaginative proposals.  All for the sake of...well that I can't tell you.

I recently received a good reminder from a wise speaker at MOPS about the power of saying 'yes' to our kids.  After about a month of trying it out, 'yes' is coming easier.  It glides out of my mouth without me thinking about it too much.  It has become a bit more natural than the 'no' that used to fly out of my mouth whenever I was asked something by my three foot littles.  


I am now seeing the power behind the 'yes'.  My kids are empowered, they are believing their ideas matter, they are getting to be in control of their fun. They are even seeing Momma have a little fun, too.  I'm not sure about you, but I am all in for being the mom who says 'yes' instead of 'maybe another time' or 'not today' or 'that's too messy' or 'no, no, no'.  I want 'yes' to be the soundtrack my kids play in their brains.  I want my babes to know they can come to me with a crazy idea and there is a good chance I will buy in and jump in with them.  I want to be a 'yes' mom.  

Although I am no where near a pro at this 'yes' thing, I am finding it easier to take a deep breath and dive into my kids' little worlds and look them in the eye to find out their creative endeavor.  I am always, always a work in progress.  #andallthemommassaidamen




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...