12.02.2017

Sunny Saturday

Today we are headed to the Santa Express, a dream train ride for kids mirroring the story, The Polar Express.  We are surprising the kids and I just know they are going to be head over heels excited about this one.

As we come out of the Thanksgiving day fog and are sprinting into the Christmas season, I am equal parts excited and, if I'm being honest, a bit anxious.  I have many plates to keep spinning and I don't want to drop one.  On Monday morning I sat down to map out this week and realized next week is what really matters...and the next.  The weeks leading up to Christmas are some of my most favorites and on Monday morning I started to sweat thinking about all I had to do and think about and prepare for.  Then I took a deep breath and told myself it will all be okay.  And it will absolutely be okay.  Things will or will not get done and it will all be absolutely fine either way.  I looked at my calendar and decided to take two things off and to write on my calendar 'home days' to make sure I stay home those days to enjoy the season, drink hot cocoa, wrap presents, do Christmasy-y things with the kids, and truly remember the reason for the season.  

This week I'm sharing some things that made the first week of the Christmas season extra sunny.



First up, this cute little plant.  I decided I needed some more Christmas in my life and Hy-Vee had the perfect little guy to spruce up my kitchen.  I am a fan of real plants in my home and this one adds something extra with the red cardinal in the middle. 

I am reading Loving My Actual Christmas by Alexandra Kuykendall, a perfect book to get me ready for this time of year.  She also wrote Loving My Actual Life. I got together with some girlfriends this past week to discuss it and the reminders to keep my brain and heart focused on the reason we celebrate Christmas are priceless.  I highly recommend it.

My crock pot is getting worked in my kitchen.  It gets used about every other night and makes the 4:00 hour a little less hairy.  This week I made this yummy Italian Chicken Pasta dish.  It was super easy to throw together and super delicious.  I made it for Kevin's parents when they watched the kids one night this week and then we had it for leftovers the next night.  Put this in your dinner rotation, friends.

Last, but certainly not least, The Next Right Thing Podcast by Emily P. Freeman.  Guys, you have to give this a listen.  My dear friend, Annie, recommended it to me and I am enjoying/needing/devouring it right now.  Her topic of 'the next right thing' is so timely in my season of life.  When you start to listen, make sure you start at episode one and work your way through. This one is so so good for my soul.

I hope you enjoy the first weekend in December.  It's going to be a good one.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...