7.06.2015

Book Review: The Nesting Place



I am a pretty 'Plain Jane' when it comes to decorating.  My 'go to' colors are brown, beige, tan, and mocha.  I play it safe and, therefore, my home is pretty boring.  Don't get me wrong, I like color, I just have no idea how to use it, so I stay in the safe zone of the different shades of dirt.  

Lucky for me, my sweet friends recommended The Nesting Place by Myquillyn Smith.  It's one of those books you don't want to end.  It's witty and inspiring and practical and real.  It gives 'Plain Janes' like me a glimmer of hope.  

Myquillyn talks about how a beautiful home does not have to be perfect.  Really?  Wow, whoa, s-l-o-w down.  Did you write this book for me?  Sometimes (okay a lot of the time) I get caught up in having everything put away: dishes done, counters wiped, toys picked up, that I forget that this house is for living.  My home should be a safe place for me and my family to rest and make memories (and messes) and being perfect shouldn't be on the criteria list.

I needed this book... I needed it like I need an iced coffee in the morning, like I need snuggles from my two littles, like I need a kiss from Kevin after a long day.  I needed to hear that my home is more than everything picked up in it's place.  I also needed to hear that I can take on a DIY project and it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect.  There can be a dozen nail holes in the wall behind the pictures hung on the wall and it doesn't matter.  No one sees it.  I can paint a piece of furniture without (don't read this, Mom) sanding it and it will be okay.  I can shop from my own house and move items around from room to room.  I can live without the things I don't love...I don't have to keep them on the shelf.  These were 'aha' moments for me from this book.  

I want my house to be a cozy, safe home for my family.  I want it to be a place where we can make messes together.  I want it to be a place where our friends and family feel comfortable and welcome.

I normally don't write about anything but kid stuff (with a few recipes here and there), but I am going to try and share some of my adventures in making our house feel more cozy and welcoming as well as adding some color here and there. 

I hope you pick up this book.  It is so enjoyable and the pictures are priceless.  Oh, Myquillyn also has an incredible blog...http://www.thenester.com.  Check her out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...