5.20.2012

Outdoorsy?

Life on the Trail has been quite eventful these past few months.  Since spring is here (horray!), there is a never ending list of things to be done outside.  Let's just say I do not excel at things done outside.  I never have been an outdoorsy person when it comes to working outside.  I remember begging and pleading with my Mom to let me do dishes, so I didn't have to rake the leaves with Dad.  I know, pathetic.  I don't think either of my parents ever understood why I would rather be inside, elbows deep in dirty water, when I could be outside in the sun enjoying the nice day while raking up piles of leaves.  I guess I am more of a 'sit outside with a glass of white wine while admiring the pretty flowers or people or anything' type of outdoorsy person.  Although, the wine will be exchanged for water the next 5 months...
Since moving out to Pioneer Trail, I have changed my way of thinking from childhood and am now a full-fledged outdoorsy person, kind of.  I wanted to share a few of my firsts, now that I am working outside on the Trail.


  1. I can operate and gas the riding lawnmower...and it's fun!
  2. I saw Abel catch a bird and did not freak out as Kevin chased him down and pried it from his mouth.
  3. I can identify multiple kinds of weeds on Pioneer Trail, yes I said multiple kinds.  Kevin is a great teacher.
  4. I can also identify multiple kinds of flowers on Pioneer Trail.  And, get ready for this, I can tell the difference between a weed and a flower (mostly).  Diane is a great teacher.
  5. I have heard coyotes on many occasions.  Abel is not allowed outside after dark, I think they would enjoy him way too much.
  6. And I saved the best for last.  Today, all by myself, I saw a snake.  A real, slithering, black snake that was not in a case or cage or anything, but in one of our gardens.  I did not scream, nor cry.  I didn't even run away.  I stood there, in shock, and watched as it's black body quickly slithered away (my mom is cringing right now).  If it weren't for the weeds staring me in the face ready to be plucked, I would probably still be standing there right now.
This concludes my outdoorsy firsts for now.  I know there will be plenty more to come as school comes to a close and I spend more time outside on the Trail.  I just hope that #6 isn't repeated anytime soon.

the pretty poppies in front of our house

one of Diane's unique birdhouses

Abel 'helping out' as I work



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...