1.11.2018

Hibernation

Christmas is over.  The fog between Christmas and New Year's has passed.  We know what day it is.  We are back to real life.  We are in the thick of it, again.  School.  Playdates.  MOPS.  Parties.  Meetings.  Dates.  Real life. All good things.  All real life things.

As my mind and body eases into this real life thing yet again, I can't help but yearn for the slowness, the calmness, the still of that sweet week between Christmas and New Year's.  There were multiple days spent at home, in pajamas, a fire going and nowhere to go.  Kevin and I made bacon almost every morning, refilled our coffee cups multiple times, took turns working out and playing with the kids.  We talked and read and snuggled under blankets since our furnace couldn't keep up with the negative double digits outside.  It was slow and it was good.  It was almost a bit boring, in a good way.  It was the feeling of home all day everyday for seven days.



Those magical days can't last forever.  Kevin must work.  The kids must learn. I must wash my hair.  We must enter back into civilization.  But I think we can still find ways to make those moments reappear here and there this winter. We can stay home more instead of running frenzied to the city for a 'quick Target run' for the one ingredient we absolutely don't need.  Layering the kids up in their winter coats is tedious anyway.  We can make a fire even when we don't need one.  It doesn't hurt to save a little dough.  We can carve out time to read more, maybe even while the kids play.  Monkey see, monkey do...right?  We can be intentional about slowing down, soaking in, and being still.  

I want more of that.  More quiet, more slow, more time for my mind to wander and ponder and think.  More time to watch my kids play, more time to make muffins.  Yes, more of that.  I want less hurried, less 'stuff' on my to-do list, less keeping up with Facebook.  Less, less, less.  Winter is the perfect time for less.

For us, this is a time of year when it's okay to hit the brakes a bit and enter hibernation mode.  And I think that's just what we'll do.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...