7.02.2016

Sunny Saturday

It has been a week, friends.  From sicks kids to potty training to getting a cold myself, it has been one of those weeks where a three day weekend looks like the rainbow after a storm.  It's beautiful and needed and makes you feel as if the storm that just passed wasn't so bad after all.  

We have a few parties this weekend, but are unsure if we are going to be able to make any of them, due to our potty training journey.  And, it is a journey. Potty training my sweet boy is no joke and isn't for the weak or tired or sick. (Did I mention I am all three right now?)  I feel like I am super mom simply because I have survived the last three days and, yet, I have made such little progress in this potty training thing that I have absolutely no right to feel that way.   

There have been a few things that have kept my head above water this week and have kept my eyes on the rainbow after the storm.  They have given me some kind of relief or enjoyment in the midst of the good and wonderful chaos that is motherhood.


Have you heard of MOPS?  MOPS stands for Mothers of Preschoolers and is movement that empowers and encourages moms across the world.  They believe better moms make a better world and I couldn't agree more.  The MOPS magazine, Hello, Dearest came this week and it has made my heart and world a bit more calm and centered after a week of storms.  If you are a mom, I urge you to check out MOPS and find out if there is a group that meets near you.  It has been an incredible blessing to me and the relationships I have built there with other moms are irreplaceable.

These purple flowers are growing all over my yard.  I look forward to them every year because of their sturdy stems and vibrant, egg-shaped purple blooms. I believe it's a drumstick allium, after some research, but I am just guessing here.  They are filling my yard and vases right now.


Last week we were in Denver and I made the mistake of taking two toddlers to IKEA alone.  #dontdoit  One of my beloved treasures from that what-was-I-thinking trip is this small sheepskin.  It is soft and thick and the perfect cream color.  It's beautiful on the brown leather chair in our living room and I am now on the hunt for a larger one that is not outrageously expensive. 

This is not pictured, but I ate a lot of Laughing Cow cheese this week.  I know, it's random and ridiculous, but it made nap time that much more enjoyable.  Spreadable cheese and a box of Wheat Thins, you can't really go wrong.

The last thing that helped me this week was an extra dose of grace. I can be so hard on myself when it comes to teaching my kids, I talk myself into believing that I'm doing it wrong and research, research, research to make sure I'm doing it 'right'.  Well, the deal is there is no 'right' way to potty train or teach kids to read or show them how to tie their shoes.  All kids and moms and families are different and it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out what works for each kid in each home in each family.  For example, who knew that putting green food coloring in the potty will actually get my son to use the potty?!  I gave myself some extra grace this week and allowed myself the indulgence to put my feet up at nap time and not do anything after some long mornings. 

I think I'm going to need that grace next week as well...and the week after that and the week after that.  Being a mother requires loads and loads of grace.  

I hope you have a Sunny Saturday wherever you may be this July 4th weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...