1.28.2017

Pretty Things

Pretty things make me happy.  Pretty books, pretty flowers, pretty candles, pretty blankets.  You get the point.  And during this time of year when things may not be the prettiest outside, having some beautiful things inside is important to me.  Most of the time, I think pretty things can be found for nothing or relatively inexpensive.  Other times, I allow myself to spend some extra cash for something I really, really love.

I usually decide if something is worth the extra money by how much I will use it.  How long will this thing be in my life?  How much will I see it?  How often will I pick it up and hold it in my hands or sit on it or lay on it? These questions help guide me when making big and small purchases.

For example, I will wait, save, and spend extra money on a rug I really love because we will walk, sit, and snuggle on that thing.  I try not to spend a lot on plants (that I will potentially kill), prints that I will grow tired of, throws that I switch out depending on the seasons, or candles that I will burn in a week (unless, of course, they are Wax Buffalo).

Today I am sharing some pretty things that made my week 38 #canyoubelieveit of being pregnant a bit sunnier.


 
First is a big, okay HUGE splurge for me.  Since I stay home with my littles, I love having a planner where I can write my to-do list in for each day as well as keep track of appointments, playdates, and other important calendar-y things. Last year I used two different systems.  I picked up a cheap planner from Target in early January and eventually abandoned it because it didn't serve my purposes.  I then used a plain notebook, but that didn't meet my needs either. In November, I went back to the planner (which I hated), but thought I could make work the rest of the year.

This year, I splurged.  I used some of my birthday money to buy this beautiful Emily Ley planner and I am so very glad I did.  Because it's beautiful. Because it's simple.  Because it meets my needs.  And because this company is ran by an amazing woman and momma.  I couldn't be more happy with my choice to splurge on this and I can honestly say I use it and love it every. single. day.

In 2017 I have read four books.  This one, by far, is my favorite.  Chasing Slow by Erin Loechner is one of those books I didn't want to end.  I was trying to savor every word and enjoy every story.  I was eating up all the good nuggets and feeling grateful for a wife and momma to be open and vulnerable enough to tell her story.  This is a great read for those of us who want to take the slower path in life and offers wisdom in how to go about that without furiously chasing it.  AND isn't the cover just perfect?  It looks great on a bookshelf.  All the girls out there...it's a good one.


Last is a fun find I picked up while shopping in December with my dear friend, Paige.  We found this beautiful, Christian boutique in Des Moines and they had the perfect little 'sale' room.  This candle looked lonely and I knew just the place for it on my kitchen counter.  The blue/green glass goes with the colors in my kitchen and reminds me of the crystal clear ocean that I miss desperately as I look outside at the cold (yet beautiful) snow that has taken over the Trail. This candle didn't cost a lot, but is pretty and reminds me of the beauty that I can find in my daydreams.

Sometimes pretty things can cost a lot or just be a fun find from a sale rack. I enjoy curating pretty things in a home that make me happy and make the day just a bit sunnier.  I hope you have a Sunny Saturday wherever you may be today!


     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...