3.06.2018

Five Favorite Simplicity Books

Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. —Vera Nazarian

We are a family of readers, so far anyway.  Kevin and I spend the early morning quiet hours engrossed in books and Luke and Lily like to make a stack of books on the couch and read book after book after book.  It is yet to be seen if Jude will join us.  His interest in books includes carrying them around and throwing them.  #thirdchild

Recently I had a pile of simplicity books on my nightstand in my bedroom and on the end table in my living room.  I reread my favorite simplicity book and found a new favorite.  Today I'm going to share my top five simplicity books along with a runner up.



The More of Less by Joshua Becker

Joshua Becker is one of my favorite minimalists to read.  He has two kids and loves Jesus.  This book is completely practical, but gets down to the why on simplifying and getting rid of the stuff.  You can find more of his work over at: becoming minimalist.com.

Soulful Simplicity by Courtney Carver

Courtney Carver is the creator of Project 333, a movement to live with less clothing, 33 pieces for 3 months to be exact.  In her book she writes about her multiple sclerosis diagnosis and her need to eliminate stress and her desire to live a more intentional, more love focused life.  I am newer to her writing, but I loved this book.  I love how she integrated storytelling into practical ways to live with less so you can have more time for the good stuff.

Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne

I have read and reread this book so many times.  I am in love with the simplistic approach to parenting.  I know not everyone would agree with my thoughts and ideas and that's okay!  Being different is good!  However, I do think every parent could take away something from this book.  It's insightful and backed by research.  I make it a point to reread this book every year.

Clutterfree with Kids by Joshua Becker

Another book by Becker and it hits all the highlights of decluttering and purging with kids.  If you're looking to pare down and you have kids, this is a must read.

Notes from a Blue Bike by Tsh Oxenreider

Tsh is a favorite author of mine.  She doesn't know it, but I view her kind of as my simplicity coach.  Notes from a Blue Bike is laid out storytelling style and I couldn't love it more.  Tsh has lived around the world and she uses her experience to craft a book full of wisdom and practical tips and tricks to live a more intentional life.  She discusses food, work, travel, entertainment, and education.  And it's all good.    

Seven by Jen Hatmaker

Seven is my runner up.  Not because I don't absolutely love it, because I do. I love Seven and Jen.  I just borrowed the book from a friend awhile back, so it's not in the picture or my library (I might have to change that).  In Seven, Jen introduces us to her experiment to get rid of the excess.  One of her experiments included only eating seven types of food for a month. Another experiment she only wore seven pieces of clothing.  (Can you imagine??) She turns the 'American dream' upside down and it's a bit shocking, highly motivational, and super enjoyable and witty.  Classic Jen.

If you're looking for a simplicity book, these are some good ones to start with...there isn't a bad one in the bunch.  What are your favorites?  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...