5.24.2016

Being Intentional in the Summertime

Is it me or do things speed up when the weather gets nice?  It's like everyone comes rushing out of their houses at the first sign of spring and want to do all the things everyday, me included.  We finally receive the long anticipated prize for making it through the long, dark days of winter...the hibernation is over and we can stop sleeping and wake up to all the things to do and play and work on.


That is what last week was like.  I wanted to have a playdate with everyone, do a million outside projects, and throw in a date with my hubby in between some past due appointments.  Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely NOT complaining.  I am just adjusting to the change of pace that spring and summer bring to the world and my household.

When I think of how the world changes and adjusts in the springtime, it makes me really want to step back, reflect and be intentional about how and what I spend my time on from day to day.  It's so easy for me to get caught up and excited about doing fun things that I sometimes overextend myself and my family.

As a recovering people pleaser, I want to say 'yes' to all my friends and all the fun playdates and get-togethers. As a type A personality I want to have a weed-free yard and garden.  (Is there such a thing? This one isn't realistic.) As a stay a home mom, I want to have adult interaction often.  #andstarbucks

But, I also want time to breathe and time to grow and build up my family.  I want time to just sit and enjoy the beautiful weather and days God creates.  I want to play with my kids in the backyard and have slow mornings and nights at home together.  I want to invest in my husband and our relationship.  I want to read books outside and learn and grow as a woman, friend, wife, and mom.  I want to take discipling my kids seriously and learn more about how to do this in a way that honors God (not to be confused with disciplining, although I need to do that, too).


So, even though I want to say 'yes' to everything (and I do), I have to step back and be intentional about what I say 'yes' to and determine if it aligns with all the things I want for my family and for myself.  Families are where vital relationships are established and I want to keep my relationships with my tribe real and honest and at the top of my list of priorities.

As I look forward to the summer and all the fun, exciting events, get-togethers, vacations, and random playdates to the park or zoo or museum (that are always the best), I want to make sure I reserve times for our family to 'just be' together and embrace the rhythm of everyday life as a family of four in the summertime.

My type A personality is going to show it's face now.  Here are some ways I plan on being intentional this summer with my family.

1.  Put 'family time' on the calendar.

If there is an empty space on our calendar, I tend to seek out something to fill it.  That equates to lots and lots of unintentional 'yeses'.  I am going to mark and reserve in my planner (with a Sharpie) some time to stay home and be together as a family.  Since it is in Sharpie, I will absolutely not cross it out and if something comes up, we already have something 'scheduled'.  This will keep me accountable for having some uninterrupted time together as a family.


2.  Read everyday.

Reading refills my tank and is a way I embrace rest.  I have so many books on my reading list right now and I honestly want to read them all right now.  My goal is to find time everyday to read.  In the summertime on the farm, there are definitely more 'to-do's', but I am planning on giving myself grace and letting the garden not be as weed-free as I wish it would be so I can recharge and refill my tank.


3.  Plan date nights.

My hubby and I rock at date nights.  We both love having some alone time together, so it is a priority for both of us.  Since it's summertime, there are so many fun things to do and I plan on taking advantage of the nice weather and doing some 'out of the box' dates while the weather allows. 


4.  Enjoy and appreciate our surroundings.

Our dream came true when we moved to the country.  We love where we live and love that we get to raise our kids here.  The one thing we didn't think about when we moved to the farm was all the work that comes with living here.  In the past, a lot of our time spent outside was outside working.  And, when we play outside with our kids it's almost inevitable that one of us will start pulling weeds or work on a project or do something work related.  That's not a bad thing, but I want to try and enjoy where we live more and take time to sit outside with a good book and a cup of coffee every now and then and actually spend an entire night just playing and exploring on the farm.



5.  Read and listen to things that matter.

Fiction is my friend.  I love a good fiction novel like the next girl...especially in the summertime.  As much as I love these fun reads, I want to find a few good reads or podcasts that encourage and teach me as a mom, wife, and believer.  I already listen to a few that are encouraging...check out Jamie Ivey if you're looking for an awesome mommy podcast...but I want to find a few more that touch on discipling my kids and loving my husband.  If anyone has some great books or podcasts...send them my way!

Maybe I will give you an update on how this went at the end of the summer and maybe I will forget.  But, I do know that last night I went on an epic adventure with my littles and this weekend Kevin and I are heading for a few nights away as a couple.  I'm off to a good start, don't you think?

How will you be intentional this summer?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...