5.21.2016

Bringing Beauty Inside

Our iris are in full bloom around the farm; blooms of purple, yellow, pink, burgundy, and white litter our flower beds and make this place come to life. In just a few short days our peonies will start to open up and will put all the other flowers to shame.  They have this flower thing figured out with their beautiful color and shape right down to their intense, sweet fragrance. I don't like to be bias, but peonies have my heart and will be sitting on my countertop as soon as they start to show their pretty faces.


The beauty that saturates the outside world during spring inspires me to replicate that world inside my home.  Here are some things that made my home just a little sunnier this week.

Listening to the Jamie Ivey podcast is something I look forward to each Wednesday and Friday.  Jamie is funny, real, has amazing guests, and best of all, is encouraging to women of all walks of life.  On one of her shows she mentioned The Sparrow Studio and I found this Beauty from Ashes pillow cover that is absolutely gorgeous.  The Sparrow Studio is an awesome, life giving shop that serves moms in multiple countries, but primarily in Rwanda.  I could go on and on about how great this shop is, but you should definitely check it out for yourself at http://www.thesparrowstudio.com.


Do you know Melissa Michaels from The Inspired Room blog?  She has a beautiful home blog that I have been following for awhile now.  She has a few books out and I just ordered and received The Inspired Room: Simple Ideas to Love the Home You Have.  This book has beautiful pictures and it's perfect as a coffee table book, but I am literally going to read it cover to cover.  And, let's be honest, my coffee table is not a 'coffee table book' kind of table.  Right now it holds the three books I'm reading, two Kevin's reading and a few miscellaneous books we read to Luke and Lily last night.  Kevin and I's books sit on a tray that gets moved to a higher location if necessary when my littles are around.  Someday, I will display this beauty without thoughts of it getting pages torn out or milk spills splattered across the cover.    

Fresh herbs are one thing I try and for sure plant in the spring time.  Having them on hand to cook and grill with just makes everything taste better.  Kevin is a big fan of thyme, so that is one of the first things I planted after I killed our cilantro plant, as well as a few succulents.  So far so good on keeping this plant alive, but it's only a week old in my house. I found this yummy looking salmon recipe that incorporates fresh thyme that will be a perfect meal for this weekend.  

How beautiful is this card?  I received it in the mail this week from a good friend and as soon as I opened it I was in love and on Etsy ordering some. Allie Kushnir is based out of Chicago and uses her watercolor paintings to create cards, pillows, purses, and, of course, art!  Check her shop out right now, everything is incredible!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I find this to be true with weeds and flowers especially.  These beauties are chive plants and double as cut flowers when they're blooming.  We have an abundance of chives at the moment, so I have started cutting them and placing them in vases either alone or with a few hosta leaves.  And, if I need some for cooking, I just walk on over to the entryway where they are looking pretty and pluck one out.


This weekend is supposed to be sunny and 70, so I am hoping our peonies will peek out and make it just a bit sunnier.  

Hope you all have a Sunny Saturday!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...